Category: Community

Around Town

Spooktacular Fun Planned Long & Foster’s Spooky House returns to 189 Kentlands Boulevard on Wednesday, Oct. 30, 3 to 5 p.m. All are invited for pumpkin painting, games, trick or treating and more. Then on Halloween, 3 to 6 p.m.,…

Remembering Dr. Maria Annette Cook Hayes

Dr. Maria Annette Cook Hayes, 57, mother and dear friend to many, passed peacefully on September 12, 2019 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, Rockville, MD. She had spent 58 days battling complications from an undiagnosed brain AVM. Although Maria grew…

Great Turnout for Third Annual Kentlands Campout

Photo | Lilly Price Sold out weeks in advance, the third annual Kentlands Campout on the Kentlands Clubhouse lawn brought together hundreds of neighbors.

Neighbors rolled out sleeping bags, pitched tents and camped on the Kentlands Clubhouse lawn Sept. 21 as part of the third annual Kentlands Campout event. Saturday was a hot and sticky day, but an estimated 160 people braved the elements…

Kentlands Bridal Showcase Prepares Couples to Say ‘I Do’

Photo | Marylou Bono Andi Kenney of Tart & Craft was one of the vendors at this year’s Kentlands Mansion Bridal Showcase.

Last Sunday afternoon, I experienced my first bridal showcase featuring a mock wedding at the Kentlands Mansion. As I got closer to the entrance, there was a floral fragrance in the air. Little did I know that flowers are only…

Kentlands Starbucks Hosts Coffee with a Cop

Photo | Lilly Price Lieutenant Ian Clark covers Gaithersburg for the Montgomery County Police Department.

Montgomery County Police officers gathered at Starbucks in Kentlands Tuesday to participate in the fourth annual national “Coffee with a Cop” day. Officers mingled, chatted and hung out with community members, even served coffee behind the counter, in an initiative…

Notes from the Publisher and Editor

I have always been thankful for the team of dedicated people who create this newspaper each and every issue. Each and every one of them contribute because they care deeply about their community and want to share what they see—the…

Around Town

Arts Barn Reopens With Celebratory Drum Circle Following several weeks of closure while the roof and HVAC system were replaced, the Arts Barn reopens to the public with a celebratory drum circle on Sunday, Oct. 6, 4 to 5 p.m.…

Around Town

Arts Barn to Reopen Soon The historic Arts Barn will reopen on Oct. 2 after renovations to the roof and HVAC systems, which began earlier this  summer. To kick off its 17th season of programming, the Arts Barn will participate…

Community Association to Support Community Composting Program

Photo | Courtesy of Key City Compost Sebastian Brown with Key City Compost collects compost bins. Key City Compost is working with the Kentlands Community Association to offer composting service to Kentlands residents starting in January 2020.

Shannon Sanchez has long appreciated the natural world, but the birth of her twins made her environmental concerns an even higher priority. “Becoming a mother last year has only given me greater purpose in protecting and improving the earth for…

26th Annual 5K Runs on Community Spirit

| Jaree Donnelly More than 850 runners and walkers participated in the Kentlands/Lakelands 5K on Aug. 31.

The experience of living in Kentlands or Lakelands is idyllic. So much of what the designers of these new urbanist communities envisioned when they created the neighborhoods is visible on a daily basis: families pushing babies in strollers, people walking…