Watkins Mill Interchange Ahead of Schedule
According to the city’s Office of Economic Development, the Watkins Mill Interchange project is proceeding ahead of schedule. The project is now 83 percent complete and is scheduled to be finished in summer 2020.
Work during the next month includes
- Placing asphalt on 270 NB on and off ramps;
- Continue grading on ramps to I-270 and MD-124;
- Continue with installation of sign structure foundations along I-270, south of new bridge;
- Removing asphalt for I-270 SB on and off ramps;
- Continue placing drainage structures;
- Placing concrete barrier walls, and curb and gutter; and
- Working on landscaping and stream restoration.
Anticipated impacts of the upcoming projects include
- Night-time closures (of up to three lanes) on I-270 SB and NB may occur for overhead sign structure installations;
- Temporary left lane closure in local lanes of I-270 NB will also be implemented for placement of overhead sign foundations between I-370 and Exit 11; and
- Continue with temporary lane closures on I-270 NB and SB between Germantown Road and MD-124 for various work-related activities.
Support Homeless at City’s Jingle Jubilee
The city’s 93rd tree lighting ceremony, Jingle Jubilee, is planned for Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 to 7:45 p.m. at the City Hall Concert Pavilion in Olde Towne. Admission is free. In addition to fun holiday festivities—performances by local music groups including Pritchard Music Powerhouse Brass and the Gaithersburg Chorus; visits with Santa, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Elmo and Cookie Monster; a photo booth with dress-up accessories and props; giveaways; and holiday card signing for our troops—you can support homeless veterans in Montgomery County by making donations to the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless (MCCH).
MCHH provides emergency shelter to an average of 75 veterans annually. Donations, including food, toiletries and cleaning supplies, are being collected to assist veterans with their move. A complete list is available at www.gaithersburgmd.gov/recreation/special-events/jingle-jubilee-tree-lighting.
Donations can be dropped off during the Jingle Jubilee event. Monetary donations are also being accepted. Checks can be written to the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless.