Some 30 years after it opened for the 1988-89 school year, Quince Orchard High School has established an Athletic Hall of Fame and selected its first class of 24 inductees.
“Now that we celebrated 30 years since the opening of Quince Orchard, I felt it was time to honor our past and get this started,” said QO Athletic Director Jeff Rabberman. “It is important to recognize the people that have shaped this athletic department, school and community to make the excellent school and athletic department it is today.”
The Hall of Fame honors former outstanding QO athletes, coaches and administrators who excelled in their sports or coaching and support roles. It also recognizes community members for their support and dedication to QO’s athletic programs. The inductees, who were selected by a committee consisting of current and former QO administrators, coaches, faculty members, community members and media, are as follows.
COACHES & ATHLETIC DIRECTORS
- Ernie Ceccato – Football, Softball, Athletic Director; 1988-1996
- Jerry Link – Cross Country, Indoor Track and Track & Field; 1988-1999
- Dave Mencarini – Football; 2002-2013
- Lisa Schrader – Gymnastics, Cheerleading and Athletic Director; 1988-2013
- Stephanie Withers Blake (2004) – Girls’ Volleyball
- Alice Chen Grady (2006) – Tennis
- Jessica Dorney Schwartzman (2001) – Field Hockey and Lacrosse
- Brittany Dorsey (2003) – Soccer and Basketball
- Emily Ellenberger (2007) – Field Hockey
- Ruth Kura (1998) – Track & Field
- Ariel Nehemiah (2008) – Soccer and Track & Field
- Karen Pulliam Egan (2002) – Cross Country, Indoor Track and Track & Field
- Jamie Rosenthal Miller (1995) – Gymnastics
- Wayne Bartholomew (2009) – Cross Country and Track & Field
- Frankie Baughn (2003) – Wrestling
- Aron Dorsey (1999) – Wrestling, Football, Lacrosse and Track & Field
- Bani Gbadyu (2006) – Football and Track & Field
- Troy Harry (1993) – Cross Country and Track & Field
- Travis Hawkins (2009) – Football and Track & Field
- Bart Mease (1995) – Golf
- Ace Tate (1998) – Swimming
- Nick Bobruska – Booster Club Member/Volunteer; 2005-2015
- Dan Shea – Principal; 1996-2006
“When we got done (with) the meeting and we put the 24 inductees on the board, it really gave me goosebumps,” said Rabberman. “It is an outstanding group of people, and it was an honor to give each one of them the call to tell them they are
in the inaugural class.”
The school sought nominations from the community for candidates in May and early June, and members of the selection committee also nominated individuals. Athletes are eligible for nomination eight years after their graduation, while coaches, administrators and community members are eligible immediately after they leave QO.
In all, the selection committee considered 85 nominees.
To be selected, athletes must have competed in a state- or county-sanctioned varsity sport and must have excelled in it, for example, by individual achievements such as all-District, all-Region, all-State or all-Met selection, as well as team accomplishments, individual school or team records held, and impact on teams and the school’s overall athletic program. Accomplishments after graduation are also taken into consideration.
Coaches, athletic directors and administrators who are selected must have participated with distinction and made significant contributions to athletics at QO, as evidenced, for example, by the success of their teams and the acknowledgment of their former student-athletes, while community members may be chosen for their service and dedication to QO athletics.
Nominees who were not selected this year will automatically be reconsidered annually until they have been considered for three years, and they may be re-nominated thereafter. The school will seek additional nominations each year.
The 2019 inductees will be honored in the Cougar Dome at a ceremony before the Friday, Oct. 4 football game against Clarksburg. A reception for Hall of Fame inductees will be held on Saturday night at a time and place to be determined.
Editor’s Note: Town Courier reporter Syl Sobel is a media member of QO’s Athletic Hall of Fame Selection Committee.