Have you heard the latest about our library? We’ve made some very exciting changes to our policies! One of the biggest changes is that as of Oct. 1, we are no longer charging any overdue fines for children’s materials. Children’s materials are those that are categorized by an E (Easy) or J (Juvenile) on their spine labels.
This is a part of our continuing work toward simplifying access to our resources.
Additionally, we continue our dedication to early childhood literacy. By eliminating fines on children’s materials, our hope is to remove barriers for patrons of all ages to be able to better access our materials.
Another exciting change is that there will be no limits on how many items can be checked out or put on hold, and users will be able to renew up to 10 times. These changes place FCPL among a growing number of libraries across the country that are working to build bridges in their communities and remove barriers for patrons by eliminating fines.
We have a number of fun programs coming up in November! Our biggest event in November is our Diwali celebration. On Saturday, Nov. 2 from 1 to 3 p.m., drop in to enjoy the festivities and learn what Diwali means around the world. Live performances, crafts, and activities for the whole family! This is presented in partnership with the Indian Association of Frederick.
- On Sunday, Nov. 10 at 1 p.m., experience the Vietnam War through the lens of Frederick County native, infantryman Tom Nikirk who will present a selection of 35 mm slides documenting his experiences in Vietnam.
- On Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 6:30 p.m., drop in to learn about the effects of “over-tourism” on popular travel destinations, and more sustainable options for exploring the world.
- On Saturday, Nov. 16 at 1 p.m., get your creative juices flowing! The Maryland Writers’ Association of Frederick is hosting a write-in. Bring your notebook, or laptop, or the napkins you’ve been scribbling on, and join in.
- Our monthly C.A.M. (Cosplay/Anime/Manga) club for teens happens on Wednesday, Nov. 13 from 4 to 6 p.m. Each month features a manga series or book, anime episodes or movie, and a cosplay workshop.
- On Thursday, Nov. 21 from 6 to 8 p.m., meet the Urbana Library at Buffalo Wild Wings, 3335 Worthington Blvd., for Teen Game Night. Games and snacks provided.
- We’ve redone our Teen Studio area, and we have a PS4 with a variety of games for all teens. Bring a library card or student ID to trade for a controller, and have fun with your friends.
- We have regular storytimes for various ages every weekday morning at 10:05 a.m. Check our online calendar to see when specific storytimes are for your child.
- On Tuesday afternoons at 2 p.m. we have a School Skills for Preschoolers program for ages 3-5.
- On Friday, Nov. 8 from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., drop in for some Life-Sized Gaming (Grades K-5).
Please drop in to visit us soon. We’re at 9020 Amelung St., adjacent to the Giant shopping center. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 301.600.7004 or visit our website at www.fcpl.org. We look forward to seeing you!
Editor’s note: Tara Lebherz is the branch administrator of the Urbana Regional Library.