February is the month for love, and we love our library! This month I’d like to point out a couple of resources that you may enjoy.
If you love movies but feel like you’ve seen everything popular out there, check out Kanopy! Kanopy video streaming service is a collection of independent and foreign films, documentaries, educational films, must-see classics and popular movies. This also includes the Great Courses and selections from the Criterion Collection, which is a collection of classic and contemporary cinema from around the world. Kanopy works on all devices and supports apps for Roku, iOS and Android and you can stream up to 10 videos every month.
Looking for something for your kids to watch? There is also Kanopy Kids! Kanopy Kids offers programming to inspire young minds and spark creativity. You’ll find classic movies like “Pinocchio” and “Anne of Green Gables,” television shows like “Daniel Tiger” and “Sesame Street,” and fun nonfiction shows on science and math. There are also read-along books that you can watch together and enjoy. Watching videos in Kanopy Kids does not count against your 10 monthly Kanopy play credits. You can watch an unlimited number of videos in Kanopy Kids.
We have a number of fun programs coming up this month. None of our programs require registration; please drop in and check them out.
- Feb. 2 from 1 to 3 p.m.: We’re holding one of our biggest programs of the year! Our Lunar New Year program celebrates the Year of the Rat with FCPL and the Asian American Center of Frederick. Festivities for all ages will include stories, crafts, traditional games and music!
- Feb. 15 from 1 to 2:30 p.m.: The Maryland Writers’ Association is holding a Cabin Fever Reliever program. Writer Jeff Reynolds talks about the art of storytelling, New England style.
- Feb. 22 from 2 to 3 p.m.: Realtor Mary Garnett Ratchford presents “Major Renovations v. Cosmetic Fixes.” Join us to find out what to do if you want to sell your home. Before you renovate, explore what you must do and what you can forgo. Learn what appraisers look for and the renovation pitfalls to avoid.
For teens (grades 6-12):
- Feb. 10 from 4 to 5 p.m.: Writing club for grades 6-12. Practice brainstorming tips and edit with peers. All forms of writing welcome. Contribute to our library Zine!
- Feb. 14 from 1 to 4 p.m.: We’re holding a Tainted Love Escape Room for teens in grades 6-12. Join us for an anti-Valentine’s Day event and attempt to escape the clutches of deranged love!
- Feb. 16 from 2 to 3 p.m.: R.E.A.D.® with Wags for Hope. Kids of all ages can read to Reading Education Assistance Dogs.
- Feb. 26 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. for grades K-5: The make-IT place: Sphero Battle Bots. Work with a team to build your battle shell and prepare your Sphero robot for the Battle Bots tournament of champions!
Please drop in to visit us. We’re at 9020 Amelung St., adjacent to the Giant shopping center. If you have any questions, feel free to call at 301.600.7004 or visit our website at www.fcpl.org. We look forward to seeing you!
Editor’s note: Tara Lebherz is the branch administrator of the Urbana Regional Library.